Saturday, April 19, 2008

Of the Essay...

I have chosen to do the hypertextual essay due to it's connection with the subjects we cover in class.

My first thought was to do the essay on the redundancy of mainstream music and it's corruption of the industry and the art. I would focus on the history of mainstream music and recent sale figures. From there I would highlight a quite famous study by an American university post-graduate who, by merging two songs from popular band 'Nickleback' onto each other, discovered that the band uses almost the same sound in every one of it's songs. The same study has been undertaken in regards to 'Linkin Park' whose latest album went platinum in a matter of weeks during a time period where the music industry is said to be suffering.

However, I do not know whether this argument will provide me with enough information that can be considered factual rather than subjective, and thus hinder me from constructing an unbiased essay.

Therefore I think my subject will be the lack of support given to writer's in industries where celebrity and wealth are more highly regarded than talent. To prove this I will look to the past, when ingenuity and creativity were both encouraged and applauded. Evidence from both the literary and cinematic realms will be harvested and portrayed to uncover the truth.

Of course, I will have to think about it further, and soon.

EDIT: I have decided to go back to the popular music argument. My site will include pages regarding the proof that Nickleback, Linkin Park and Powderfinger just release the same song again and again, the importance of celebrity and image in selling albums, the ignorance and stupidity housed in pop lyrics, album sales, the change in music culture, the effect of pirating and the thoughts of those that support popular music. It will be quite informal but at the same time informative and perhaps even inspiring. Hopefully it will turn some people to the true artists in modern society.

No comments: